FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT KENYA
Kenya offers something for every taste.
- There is fantastic game viewing in the Masai Mara, Amboseli, Tsavo, Samburu and Shaba Game Reserves.
- The bird watching is also particularly good, with over 1000 recorded species.
- A hot-air balloon over the plains of the Masai Mara is rated as a world-class experience.
- The best view of Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa's highest mountain, can be seen from Amboseli National Park and is a Kenya safari experience not to be missed.
- And don't forget Kenya's lovely tropical coast, with idyllic beach destinations such as Lamu Island, where you can unwind and relax completely at luxurious resorts.
When is the best time to visit Kenya?
- Kenya is a year-round destination and it is possible to see wildlife at all times of the year. Depending on your interests, certain times may be better than others. For instance, if you want to see the Great Migration, this tends to travel through Kenya between June and October. However, even this can be difficult to determine, as the movements of the wildebeest depend on rain and weather conditions.
Besides a safari to Kenya, is it a good destination for a beach holiday?
- The Kenyan Coast is a beautiful and idyllic region that is extremely popular for its white sandy beaches, palm trees and relaxed holiday feel. The balmy waters of the Indian Ocean are perfect for swimming, snorkelling, diving, fishing and other water sports.
Should I take out travel insurance before travelling to Kenya?
- It is highly recommended that you take out adequate travel insurance at the time of confirming your booking. This should cover any medical situation (such as hospitalisation), as well as cancellation or curtailment of arrangements and loss of your baggage.
Do I need a visa to travel to Kenya?
- Visas are compulsory for all visitors, including those from countries that were previously exempt, such as the USA, UK, Germany and Belgium. Visas may be applied for at a Kenyan embassy in your home country or upon arrival at Jomo Kenyatta or Wilson Airports. However, it is recommended that visitors obtain their visas prior to arrival to avoid the possibility of long queues at the airport. Passports are required by all foreign visitors and must be valid for six months beyond the intended length of stay. Please ensure that there are sufficient blank pages for any visas as well as for entry stamps upon arrival.
Is it safe to travel in Kenya?
- Kenya is one of Africa's top tourist destinations. It is a perfectly safe country to visit, although the usual safety guidelines apply - don't leave your luggage unattended and always keep your valuables close by or locked away.
Are banking services easily available in Kenya?
- National and international banks have branches in Mombasa, Nairobi, Kisumu, Thika, Eldoret, Kericho and Nyeri, as well as most other major towns. Banks and bureaux de change at international airports are open 24 hours a day.
Can I use my credit card in Kenya?
- All major credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, Diners Club and American Express) are widely accepted.
What languages are spoken in Kenya?
- More than 40 ethnic languages are spoken in Kenya, although the national language is Swahili. Most Kenyans also understand English.